Whether you get a VPS or a Dedicated Server, The main reason behind the buy is to run Webserver, FTP server, Database servers or simply to Download and Upload some big files to the Internet. The most important advantage of a VPS or a Dedicated Server is that it mostly had blazing faster internet than your home internet.
Today We’ll guide you how you can run a speedtest right from the Command Line Interface of your Linux Server. The process is very simple and requires only a couple of commands to be executed from SSH Client.
- A VPS or Dedicated Linux based server.
- Root access to your server
- SSH Client such as Putty
- 5 minutes of your time.
How to test internet speed of Linux Server from CLI:
- First of all you have to login to your VPS as root using SSH Client.
- Now we have to download a Speedtest python script from a URL. If you don’t know how to do this, Just run the following command and you would be good to go.
- Now we have to modify the permissions of the script which we just donwloaded, by running the following command.
chmod a+rx speedtest_cli.py
- Now we have to move the script to an executable location, Just execute the following command.
mv speedtest_cli.py /usr/local/bin/speedtest-cl
- Now we will set the owner of that script. Currently we are running the SSH as root so we’ll execute the following command to make root user owner of that script file.
chown root:root /usr/local/bin/speedtest-cli
- We’ve successfully installed the script and now we just have to run the testing script by executing the following command.
- If you want to share your Internet speed with your friends or with us in comments section. You have to run the following command.
- Simply share the link with your friends or in the comments to show your servers internet speed off. 🙂
- If you want to run the Internet speed from a Speedtest server from any location around the globe. Run the following command and replace the “1767” with the ID of the server from the list given below.
speedtest-cli --share --server=1767
If you find our guides helpful, Do join us on social networks and share this with your friends 🙂 Don’t forget to share your Server’s internet speed with us 🙂